As an ethical food company this influences everything we do. Wherever possible, we look for the simplest solutions possible.
For us, this means that the toiletries we offer to you need to conform with our overall ethos, on which we as a business are based.
Chemicals we avoid
Everyone wants to look their best and smell great; but should this be achieved at any cost to our bodies and the environment?
At Naturally Good Food we take a very precautionary view with regard to chemicals. In the US meanwhile, and in other major manufacturing countries, the view is that in general, cosmetic manufacturers may use any ingredient they choose, except for a few substances that are prohibited by regulation.
There is research into the impact of individual chemicals on the body, but it is difficult to measure the combined impact of various chemicals - that is, the 'cocktail effect' that can be achieved by one chemical working with another. To avoid the cocktail effect, it is best to use the simplest possible ingredients.
Natural toiletries stocked
To offer a wide variety of toiletries, we need to stock a number of brands. Some of the products we stock are produced by smaller companies, often family businesses with a specialism in a specific product or range of products, such as soap.
- Caurnie - Caurnie Soap has been passionate about providing the best solutions to the natural skincare community since 1922. Caurnie specialise in traditional Scottish soap - cold-process vegetable and herbal soaps (these are usually called 'natural hand-made soaps'). The company feels that a better term would be 'wholesoap', as the whole of the oil is still in the soap.
- Emma Noel - a French-based company with family connections to the Emile Noel organic oils company.
- Faith in Nature - Faith in Nature was founded by Rivka Rose over 30 years ago, with a clear mission to produce skin and haircare products from naturally derived sources, with no synthetic additives, which damage neither the user nor the environment.
- Green People - Green People promote organic skincare, with shampoos, deodorants and natural sun lotions, as well as a new organic make-up range. Green People have been at the forefront of organic skin care for many years.
- Kingfisher - Kingfisher is the UK’s leading natural toothpaste. It contains no artificial colourings, flavourings, sweeteners or preservatives.
- Pitrok - A UK-based company specialising in deodorants.
We probably don't need to say this, but of course we avoid products that are tested on animals. Our stockist policies are clearly stated on their websites:
- Caurnie - these are cruelty-free and vegetarian soaps, suitable for delicate skins or for allergy sufferers.
- Faith in Nature - no animal testing, since the start of the company over 40 years ago. All products are vegetarian and most are vegan. No genetically modified ingredients are used and there is no synthetic colouring or fragrances.
- Green People - fairly traded, free from animal ingredients and never tested on animals.
- Kingfisher - we stock a large range of Kingfisher toothpastes. Kingfisher has been awarded PETA's Best Cruelty-free Beauty and Toiletries Product.
- Pitrock - is not tested on animals, has no animal-derived ingredients and is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
News on toiletries from Naturally Good Food