There are numerous snack options designed for sports nutrition. You could use them:
- Pre-exercise - don't eat too close to your exercise slot; the larger your food intake before exercise, the longer you need to leave before you start.
- Post-exercise - after a tough gym session, post-workout snacks are an important way to restore energy and rebuild muscle. Downed within two hours after exercise, protein-packed shakes and snacks are a great way to rebuild the tissue that breaks down during exercise.
If you are in for an endurance event, or a very long session in the gym, then you will need to maintain adequate hydration and nutrition during exercise. You may therefore like to consider a very light snack.
If you are exercising to lose weight, paradoxically, you might need to eat a little more before training, as you don't want to run out of energy mid-way through. Our suggestions below should be viewed in the light of your needs and the activity you are doing.
At Naturally Good Food, we stock a range of snack bars that you might wish to use as part of your exercise routine. We also stock a large range of rice and corn cakes and crispbreads; these can be used with the ever-useful nut butters, including our tubs of nut butters.
As always at Naturally Good Food, we like to stock the best range of healthy products available. With our standard case discount of 10%, eating better often also means eating economically.
What type of snacks?
What type of sports snacks to use?
Sports nutrition snack brands
At Naturally Good Food you will not find the normal 'power bars' that have lots of 'X', but no nutritional value. Instead, we hope you will find some new brands that have all the things (well most of them) that you want. Included in this section we have:
- RawBites - this is a new range of organic snack bars, made with very simple ingredients (normally just two to four ingredients per bar). RawBites originate from Denmark and have a growing popularity across many northern European countries. Naturally Good Food are pleased to be one of the first (if not the first) companies in the UK to offer this brand. In terms of taste and texture, RawBites are very similar to Larabars, which sadly are no longer available in Europe. They are also cheaper than Larabars - which for us is rather novel: the new organic version is cheaper than the old non-organic version!
- Natural Balance - Natural Balance are the company behind 'Trek Bars' and the Nakd range. These snacks are often available in supermarkets, but that doesn't make them bad! Buy a case for our standard 10% case discount.
- Raw Health - Raw Health use organic raw ingredients and, where possible, soak and sprout them to bring their natural vitality to life. They then make delicious snacks at low temperatures to ensure the health-giving nutrients and enzymes stay alive and well. We also stock a number of other Raw Health products: if raw food is a priority for you, than you must take a look at Raw Health.
When looking at your nutritional needs, try not to eat too many snack bars - no matter how wholesome they are!